Monday, February 6, 2012

Stop for One Tuesday: Chips and Dip

   One night last week Connor was singing one of our church songs as I was tucking him into bed.  This blessed me and not looking to let a teachable moment go by, I told  him that I like singing worship songs in my head before I fall asleep, because when I wake up they’re the first thing I think.  It’s like “One More Time,” all night long.
     Let me set the scene for you the next morning as I was getting ready to go to school.  I stood at our kitchen counter pouring boiling water into my thermos for tea.  My back was to the rest of the room.  
     Connor came bounding in with way more energy then should be allowed at 6:30.  He began gathering things for his cereal.  I heard the clatter of bowls and silverware, the slamming of the refrigerator, and the patter of his feet as he skipped about the kitchen.  I heard what I thought was way to much cereal ring as it was poured into his bowl.  As he thumped about the kitchen Connor was loudly singing.  In my head I thought, “Oh isn’t that sweet he woke up singing church songs, just like we talked about last night.”
     As you may have guessed, it was NOT a church song.  Connor sang,   “Chips and dip.  I’m having chips and dip.  Chips and dip. I’m having chips and...”

   About that time the lyrics permeated my obviously not wide awake brain.  I turned swiftly. Yup, he had chips in his bowl and a spoon in the dip. 
   “Connor, you may not have chips and dip for breakfast!”  After some discussion, Connor dramatically put his first choice away and settled on toast.  You all know that had Connor feasted on chips and dip for breakfast that would have been the day he would have been asked to report what he ate as part of a nutrition unit at school.

I will bless the Lord at all times;
His praises shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul shall make its boast in the Lord; 
The humble shall hear of it and be glad. 
Oh, magnify the Lord with me, 
And let us exalt His name together. 
Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; 
Blessed is the man who trusts in Him! 
those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing.
Psalm 34 selected verses



     Today stop for Him.  Taste and see that the Lord is good.  Drink deeply of His living water.  Satisfy your spiritual hunger and thirst.  Look for your happiness in Him.
     What is the least nutritious breakfast you have allowed your child to eat before going to school?
     Mine is on one occasion, Yoohoo and chocolate cake - but that is a story for another day.

-Donna

2 comments:

Alene said...

I want to have chips and dip for breakfast like Connor. Think I just might tomorrow. Love those precious moments we can steal away with our kiddo's. Love it! Sorry my linky is not working this week. I'm still working on it.

Foursons said...

Ha! Sounds like a perfect breakfast to me. :) My son ate a slice of pizza this morning. I just didn't feel like a battle today.

Pin It button on image hover