Sunday, December 9, 2012

Have You Any Room for Jesus?

  
     It was a cold rainy day in early December. I was rushing home after some quick Christmas shopping at the local mall thinking of the things I needed to do. My mind was on the coming holiday, the presents yet to be bought, the house to be cleaned, the planning for a quick trip to Virginia, and projects at school that needed to be completed before vacation. It was cold, wet, and I was in a hurry when I passed Jesus on the road.
Really!  Jesus was right there on the side of the road. He was laying with the rest of his family, a few shepherds, some animals and possibly a wise man or two.  They lay in a pile at the end of a long driveway that leads to a church high on a hill. They were plastic light up figures that eventually would become part of the church's Christmas display. But on this gray and rainy day the holy family, and friends, were abandoned in a heap by the side of the road. The person who had been on the job probably thought that it was too cold, too wet, and somehow too inconvenient, to set plastic Jesus up in his meager stable.

      I considered the very first Christmas and how the innkeeper didn't have room. I thought if I had been the innkeeper, I wouldn't have been so inconsiderate as to show expectant Mary and Joseph to a stable, no matter how busy. No, I would have given them the best room. I would have given them my room to use for the birthplace of my king. But, I see myself reflected in the face of that innkeeper. I am rushed, harried, distracted by gadgets and obligations, and thinking of my own needs. To be honest, I am not sure there would have been room at my inn either. And even worse, I know who He is.
      The world has changed considerably since that first Christmas, but Jesus still needs us to make room for Him. After all, He had room in His heart for us. He laid aside all of Heaven to come and love us beyond anything that we could imagine. Jesus came to shed light on our jumbled days and into our darkest places. He makes room in our hearts, by cleansing us of sin, guilt, and shame. He gives us peace in life's storms and joy each morning.
      Here is a poem which says this so beautifully.

Have You Any Room For Jesus?

Have you any room for Jesus,
He who bore your load of sin?
As He knocks and asks admission,
Sinner, will you let Him in?
Room for Jesus,King of glory!
Hasten now His word obey;
Swing the heart's door widely open,
Bid Him enter while you may.
Room for pleasure, room for business,
But for Christ the crucified,
Not a place that He can enter,
In the heart for which He died?
Have you any room for Jesus?
C. C. Williams
 
      Let's not leave Jesus sitting at the curb.
 

This post was originally published on 12/4/2011.

7 comments:

a joyful noise said...

Oh how hurried we get and must take time to remember Jesus is the reason! I do hope some good hearted soul put the scene back together again. Thanks for sharing at Tell Me a Story.
Repost again tomorrow if you like in 24 hours.

BARBIE said...

I fear I pass Him up at least a few times each day. I long to slow down, to not be in a hurry, to truly see Him!

a joyful noise said...

Thanks for returning to Tell Me a Story! Love your post!

Unknown said...

Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing at my Our Favorite Things Link Party. It provided a perfect stop and reflect during the business of the season.

Unknown said...

Thank you Donna
You truly touched my heart with this poem and your honesty! Yes, we tend to critisize the innkeeper, but we should actually look at the crowdedness of our own hearts. Thoughtful post.
Hugs XX
Mia

Unknown said...

Thank you for your comments on Willie Warner and his short story (not continued.) I do write a continued story at: http://musingsbyrobert.blogspot.com/ and am in the middle now of "Billy Hill." There will be others coming up soon. Sign up to follow by e-mail and you will not miss any of the chapters. The poem by cc williams is very nice!

caryjo said...

Well, the main place ... the SAFE place ... He can be in my area... is my heart, soul, and spirit. He entered, He keeps it. I'm looking forward to seeing His present-day "Inn"... and looking forward for HIM to put me in an "inn" in HIS heavenly world instead of mine.

Neat story; neat thinking.

Pin It button on image hover