Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What I Read in April

     The smoke alarm goes off in my kitchen to let me know that once again I have burned my toast because I was so involved in reading a book that I failed to notice the smoke filling the room.  Can you relate?
     Here is a list of the books that I read in April.

     Surprised by Motherhood: Everything I Never Expected, Lisa-Jo Baker:  I so enjoyed this book.  Even though my youngest is twelve, I remember the weariness and joy of those early parenting years.  The magic of the first glimpse of each child and the wonder of it all.  From the first time they cooed to the first time you were doused with vomit.  Lisa-Jo shares her experience with gentleness and encouragement.
     Lisa-Jo takes us with her on her journey to motherhood.  She swore that she would never have children, when she lost her own mother as a young 18 year old.  It is a story of healing and patience and working through fears.  It is beautifully told and well worth reading.  Surprised by Motherhood makes for a thoughtful Mothers Day gift.
     The Invention of Wings,  Sue Monk Kidd:  Read the book review here.
     Still Life With Bread Crumbs, Anna Quindlen
     Maya's Notebook, by Isabel Allende:  I read this with our local Book Club.  The group really enjoyed this book.  
     Missing You, Harlan Coben
     I've Got You Under My Skin, Mary Higgins Clark
     Hope Runs: An American Tourist, A Kenyan Boy, A Story of Redemption, Claire Diaz-Ortiz and Samuel Ikua Gachagua: This book is about how a chance encounter changed lives.
     Sammy Ikua Gachagua had lost his father to illness, his mother to abandonment, and his home to poverty. By age ten, he was living in a shack with seven other children and very little food. He entered an orphanage seeing it as a miracle with three meals a day, a bed to sleep in, and clothes on his back.
      Claire Diaz-Ortiz was on her way to someplace else when she met Sammy.  This is the story of how their meeting changed the course of their lives.
Book Trailer
     A Circle of Wives, Alice LaPlante

     What have you read lately?

Disclosure:  I purchased each of these books myself.  I did not receive payment to review any of them.  The opinions are my own.  Should you visit Amazon from my blog and make a purchase I could receive a small percentage of your purchase price.  It will not cost you more money.

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover