Friday, February 13, 2015

Talent for the Task

     The Good Morning Girls at Women Living Well are reading through the book of Exodus during the months of February and March.  I am joining them on this journey.
    You can read my other Exodus posts here:


     This weeks reading is all about the construction of the Tabernacle and the items that would go into it.  I was impressed with the level of detail that God provided in His instructions on building the Tabernacle.  God gave specific materials, lengths, and designs for each item that went into it.   The lampstands were to be made of gold and look like flowering branches.  The ten curtains were to be skillfully woven of fine linen in blue, purple, and scarlet bordered with cherubim.  The frame of the structure was to be made of acacia wood overlaid with gold.  Even the priests sacred clothing had about six different parts.  It all sounded extremely complicated.  I was rather glad that God didn’t ask me to build His tabernacle.  I just know it would be lopsided and unworthy of Him in every way.  But then I noticed, that God gave the ability and talent to the workers who were asked to complete the Tabernacle.
   Tell all the skilled workers to whom I have given wisdom in such matters that they are to make garments for Aaron, for his consecration, so he may serve me as priest.  ~Exodus 28:3
     I peeked ahead to Exodus 31 where God tells Moses that He has chosen and given Bezalel the talent to do the work required.
   Then the Lord said to Moses,  “See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah,  and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills—  to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze,  to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts.  Moreover, I have appointed Oholiab son of Ahisamak, of the tribe of Dan, to help him. Also I have given ability to all the skilled workers to make everything I have commanded you:  ~Exodus 31:1-6
     When God had directed Moses from the burning bush to speak to Pharaoh,  Moses had hesitated and questioned whether he had the skills necessary.  He told God that he was "slow of speech."  So God supported Moses with Aaron.  In this instance, God reminds Moses that the talent has already been provided.
     While you and I see all of our many failures and lacks, God sees the potential that He has tucked inside.  He has graciously provided the skills to do the tasks He has set before us.  He will give us understanding, knowledge, and wisdom to do the work that He has assigned us.  He has filled us with His Holy Spirit.  This knowledge helps us to step out of our comfort zone and risk failure to try something new.  God gives ordinary people, extra-ordinary talents for His glory.
      What has God asked you to use your talent for?

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover