Friday, March 28, 2014

What I Learned in March

    I don't think that I have been warm since September.  March has been a long and cold month.  We have had snow, snow, and then more snow.  The temperatures have been in the teens and single digits with a few days where it got above freezing.  Brrrrrr.
     On St. Patrick's Day, I celebrated the five year anniversary of my breast cancer surgery.  Five years ago while other people were going to parades, drinking green beer, and eating corned beef and cabbage with Irish soda bread I was praying for healing.  A routine yearly mammogram saved my life.  If you would like to read more about my cancer journey look here.
 
      Here is what I learned in March in no particular order.

  1. It takes a l-o-n-g time for two feet of snow to melt.  Those lumps in the snow are the tops of our metal chairs around our fire pit.  There is still snow on the ground near them.
  2.  I can take a picture of a Great Blue Heron if I don't scare him away by getting out of my car.  This heron practically posed for me.
  3. "Sometimes the bravest and most important thing you can do is just show up."  Brene Brown,  Daring Greatly.   I recently read The Gifts of Imperfection and am listening to Daring Greatly by Brene Brown.   Both are inspiring books with so much to think about.  Dr. Brene  Brown is a researcher who studies vulnerability, shame, courage, and worthiness.  Brown's 2010 TEDxHouston talk, The Power of Vulnerability, is one of the top ten most viewed TED talks on TED.com.  Today it is listed as #3.
 
     In addition to Brown's books, I have also read:  
  • Wild, (From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail) by Cheryl Strayed
  • Unbroken:  A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand,  I loved this!  Book Review here.
  • Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay,  Jane Austen lovers, this is for you.
  • Irish Eyes, by Mary Kay Andrews
  • Wrecked:  When a Broken World Slams into Your Comfortable Life, by Jeff Goins,  Wrecked is an inspiring book that will "wreck" your life.  A wonderful read. 
  • Winners, by Danielle Steel
  1. This is how Let It Go would sound if it were sung by Jack Sparrow, Mike Wazowski, Tigger, Goofy, and many other favorite characters.   Very fun.  (Not sure why this is numbered 1.  It is 4,  I guess I have to learn how to fix that in April!)
     Linking with Emily at Chatting at the Sky.  Stop by and see what others have learned!

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover