Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Book Review: Unbroken


Source
     When I was in high school, I had a math teacher who had survived the attack at Pearl Harbor.  I remember him telling us about that awful day with tears streaming down his face.  He shared with us the sorrowful loss of friends, the terrible shock, and the overwhelming confusion.  As a self absorbed teen, I did not understand what a gift he gave us.  I could not imagine anything like that ever happening in my lifetime.  Now, of course, I can.
     The amazing story of the life of Louis Zamperini is expertly shared in the book Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand.   Zamperini was a boy with a knack for trouble.  He led a life of juvenile delinquency, frequently stealing anything that could be eaten.  He played elaborate pranks and was well known by the local police.
     Louis’ brother introduced him to running.  He could run like the wind.  Louis competed in the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.  Incredibly, he met Hitler and stole a German flag off of the Reich Chancellery.
     When World War 2 began, Louis gave up preparing for the 1940 Olympics and enlisted in the Army Air Corp, becoming a bombardier.  On a May afternoon in 1943, Louis was on a routine search mission for a lost plane when his plane went down into the Pacific.  What happens over the next years, would require every skill that Louis has to survive.
     I read this incredible story with our library book club.  The members all agreed, and believe me that does not always happen, that Unbroken was wonderfully written, meticulously researched, and inspiring.  Unbroken draws you in and won’t let you go.
     It is soon to be released as a movie.
     Have you read Unbroken?


PS:  I did not receive payment to review Unbroken.  I purchased it on Amazon.  If you should click from my page to Amazon to purchase it, you will not pay more.  I might make a small amount through your purchase.

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover