Monday, October 15, 2012

Caregivers

      If you are just stopping in, this is the sixteenth post in my 31 Day Series:  I Wear Pink.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer on February 18, 2009.   This series is about my journey with breast cancer.  You can find the previous posts here


Day 16: Caregivers

Oh, how sweet the light of day,
 
And how wonderful to live in the sunshine!
  
Even if you live a long time, don’t take a single day for granted.
  
Take delight in each light-filled hour,
  
Remembering that there will also be many dark days

And that most of what comes your way is smoke.
Ecclesiastes 11:7-8 (MSG)


      My husband, Pat took care of me after the surgery.  While I was not completely helpless, he helped to keep track of medications, brought me ice packs, and encouraged me like crazy.  He made me cups of tea and took care of the household.  Pat listened as I shared my worries, fears, and questions.  He didn't try to solve everything, which is his usual mode of operation.   He didn't tell me that it could be worse or that someone else had something worse.  He agreed with me that cancer stinks, except we didn't use the word "stinks."
     In every cancer journey there are many decisions to be made.  Pat supported my decisions about  treatment.  He listened carefully as options were explained to us, asked questions, gave input, but allowed me to decide.  This was a blessing to me.
     Having cancer showed me again what a wonderful man God gave me to love.  
     In addition to my husband's support, I was also fortunate to have wonderful friends.  Friends provided us with dinners.  What a difference a meal makes.  Each night our family sat down to a wonderful home cooked dinner.  My kids loved that someone else had prepared the food.  They never once complained that they didn't like it or refused to eat it.  There are nights when they chose to eat a cheese sandwich rather than eat the dinner I have prepared.  Eating something new and different for them was nothing short of miraculous.
     I can't imagine facing cancer without the people who helped me, who cared for me, and who stepped in when I needed them.
     I would like to dedicate the song below to the caregivers.  It is "I'm Gonna Love You Through It" by Martina McBride.




No comments:

Pin It button on image hover