Sunday, June 17, 2012

Grace for the Good Girl: Week 2



Source:  Emily Freeman
"I'm always the strong one, the one who helps.  I don't think people assume I'm struggling.  Ever."
~Deb, a recovering good girl


     In the wonderful book, Grace for the Good Girl, author Emily Freeman invites woman to let go of the try hard life and realize that in Christ we are free to receive from Him rather than to constantly try to achieve for Him.  As good girls we focus on doing the right thing, being the right person, and our determination to be nice.  Unfortunately, we fail to measure up to our impossible standards.  We feel ordinary and beneath His notice.  Emily writes:

    "I know God is big enough to redeem the unruly, the rejected, and the addict.  I know about the God who reaches way down into the pit and the One whose love stretches to the heavens.  But I fear he misses the details.  What about the girl in the middle?  I fear I fall through the cracks because my story draws no attention.  I lack intrigue, drama, and interest.  Can he see ordinary, unspectacular me?"


     We hide behind, "I'm sorry," when we haven't done anything wrong.  We hide behind, "I'm fine," when we are sick, lonely, grieving, and scared.  We hide behind our own competence and success, and how much we are needed because no one else does it quite as good as we do.
     I've always been more of a Martha then a Mary.  Which is not to say that my home is immaculate, just that I am quick to point out what is wrong or out of place at any moment.  I admire Martha.  And yet, I long to be a Mary resting at the feet of her Savior.
     But His grace is revealed in our frail weak form.  His relentless redeeming grace that loves even ordinary, unspectacular me.
     Come join the book club and discussion.  You'll be so glad that you did.
     Read previous Grace for the Good Girl post here.

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover