Sunday, January 29, 2012

Super Hero

      When my brothers and I were young we had super powers.  Don had x-ray vision and John could shoot bullets out of his fingers.  Of course, both of my brothers were extremely strong and could fly, too.  
     I was fairly certain that given a cape and a sparkly tiara that I could talk to animals and save the world all before Mom called us in for dinner.  We were all going to be famous, for more than fifteen minutes, because we had done something wonderful.  Nothing could stand in our way.  But then much to our surprise, we got older.  We turned in our capes and tights.  X-ray vision and animal communication were put on the shelf.  We suddenly realized that we couldn’t actually fly.    We went from being able to run faster than a speeding bullet, being more powerful than a speeding locomotive and being able to leap tall buildings in a single bound to being rather ordinary, average, people.  
     Although, I’ve become Wonder Woman.  I wonder where I left my keys.  I wonder where I left my glasses.  I wonder where, I put my purse.  I wonder how we became ordinary and average.
     But God uses ordinary, average people to do extra-ordinary things through His grace and power.  As you look through the pages of your Bible you will see ordinary, humble, and sometimes even foolish people become heroes.  Noah saved his family and the animals from the coming flood.  Abraham fathered a mighty nation.  Moses didn’t become a hero until after he tended his father-in-laws flocks in the back of beyond.  David slew Goliath.  Gideon hiding on the threshing floor became a mighty warrior.  Peter became a rock.    
     Jesus did not come to earth to save people who are already super heroes.  He came to save the lost and afflicted.  He came to rescue those of us who need a saviour.  He came to pay our ransom.  He came to grant our pardon.  He came out of love to be with us.
     And then, because of our relationship with Jesus, we become sons and daughters of the most high God.   Exceptionally ordinary people. He gives us the power of the Holy Spirit and the authority to do great things.  He makes us super heroes capable of changing the world through prayer and action in His Name. He gives us a word on our lips and a testimony to share.  He tells us to go.
1 Corinthians 1:26-30
 Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast ... you are in Christ Jesus, ... our righteousness, holiness and redemption.
     When we have been saved by His grace, the Hero lies within.
Linking to Serenity Now Weekend Bloggy Reading
-Donna

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover