Monday, January 2, 2012

Dwell Deep

 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.   2 Corinthians 5:17
     As the calendar turns to a new year, many of us review our accomplishments, goals, and plans, and consider the future.  We decide to do things differently.  We make New Year’s resolutions.
     Now I can make resolutions that will knock your socks off and keep me and my family busy all year.  But activity and busyness isn’t the same thing as accomplishment.  I want to say to God what Jesus said in John 17:4.
“I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do.”
    Jesus was in his early thirties when He said this.  He hadn’t healed everyone.  He hadn’t preached to everyone.  He certainly hadn’t converted everyone.  In just a little while, He would be arrested, tried, convicted, and sentenced to death.  Most of his followers would abandon Him.  Jesus hadn’t filled His days with frantic rushing and busyness.  The first 30 years of His life were spent very quietly.  Jesus had left room in His planner for God.  He had accomplished what was important, and then set His face toward the cross. 
     Rather than make a list of resolutions, I have begun to choose one word to frame my year.  Read about my previous words here.
      This year, I considered a host of words.  I wanted a word that I would see at Hobby Lobby on a box or a sign - like Praise, Hope, Love, or even Eat.  But this year, the word that I kept coming back to was “dwell.”   To dwell means to reside, to abide, to rest.  It implies permanence.
Psalm 84:1-4
How lovely is your dwelling place, 


   LORD Almighty! 
My soul yearns, even faints, 
   for the courts of the LORD; 
my heart and my flesh cry out 
   for the living God. 
Even the sparrow has found a home, 
   and the swallow a nest for herself, 
   where she may have her young— 
a place near your altar, 
   LORD Almighty, my King and my God. 
Blessed are those who dwell in your house; 
   they are ever praising you.


I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.  John 15:5



     I want to:
        Dwell in possibility.  
        Dwell in hope.  
        Dwell in grace.  
        Dwell in Christ.  
        Dwell in health.  
        Dwell richly.
     In   Jeremiah 49 the inhabitants of Dedan are told to, “dwell deep.”  In 2012, I hope to learn to dwell deep.
-Donna
Update:  Linking to:
http://www.thenester.com  Home Goals
http://www.serenitynowblog.com Weekend Bloggy Reading
http://www.raisingmightyarrows.com Proverbs 31 Thursdays

4 comments:

Alene said...

I can sense the longing to dwell with your written words. Love it. God gave me the word of STOP. Stop to dwell and reach out to others. Just stop and see Him move. blessings friend

kelly said...

thank you for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comment. i am looking forward to being part of this great group of ladies as we explore our OLW. love, kelly

Unknown said...

Love it!!!! XO, Aimee

Unknown said...

Dwell.....that is a lovely word :)

Pin It button on image hover