Thursday, June 7, 2012

31 Things: Work

Source
     This post is part of my writing for the 31 Things class with Ali Edwards at Big Picture Classes.
      My Dad once asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.  I answered in all seriousness that I wanted to be a saloon owner like Miss Kitty on the TV show Gunsmoke.  After my Dad picked himself off of the floor he had to know WHY?  I explained that in the show that there were really only two women who worked.  There was the school marm and Miss Kitty.  The school marm had drab dresses, plain hair, and no make-up.  Her days were spent with barefoot children who clearly didn’t appreciate her.  Miss Kitty on the other hand wore a fancy red dress.  Her hair was always in an elegant upsweep.  Miss Kitty was beautiful.  Even better, Miss Kitty got to hang out with Marshall Dillon and Doc, but mainly Marshall Dillon.  It always looked like a party at her saloon with music, drinks and card games.  Really, Miss Kitty had all the fun.
     To my parents great relief, I grew up to be more like the school marm than Miss Kitty.  I teach Special Education at an Elementary School in a small city.  I love the children I teach.  I love when they get something that they have struggled with.  It’s wonderful watching them grow.  The children in turn have taught me so much about honesty and perseverance.   I am glad that I decided to become a teacher.  
      Of course my real work is at home.  One of the great benefits of being a teacher is having a similar schedule to my children.  It is not exactly the same, because I live in one district and teach in another, but it is close.

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer 
is the chance to work hard at work worth doing. 
Theodore  Roosevelt


     What did you want to be when you grew up?

1 comment:

The Singing Nurse said...

Very nice to get to know you more Donna. I always wanted to be a gym teacher...I guess I came close...I became a Nurse, for the most part have worked with children and most of my creative adventures includes kids, music and getting them involved in being healthy body, mind and spirit.
Dawn

Pin It button on image hover