Sunday, August 26, 2012

Enchanted: Milk Glass Snack Plates


     A few weeks ago I found a set of 22 karat gold trimmed milk glass dishes at our local thrift store.  The teacup sits in a circular rim on the rectangular snack plate.  The dishes were made by Anchor Hocking in the 1960‘s (1963-1972)  I have been told that ladies used them for tea and cookies or soup and sandwiches at their afternoon bridge games.
      I was immediately enchanted.  I envisioned myself sipping an herbal tea, cookies scattered across the plate while reading a book on a cold winter night or perhaps having a tea party with the girls.  The plates were $4 each and the cups were $3.  There were four sets.
     I wondered about the woman who had owned them.  She must have treasured them.  Although considered dishwasher safe, I guessed that she had gently hand washed them. They still had their delicate gold trim.  I wondered what memories had been served on their milky surface.
     Regretfully I left them on the shelf.  I did not want to tell Pat that I had spent $28.00 on used and impractical dishes.
     However, when I arrived at the register, the cashier mentioned that blue ticketed items were half price.  Instead of spending $28, I could report to my husband that I had saved $14 dollars.  I gleefully handed over fifteen dollars - for the four sets and an extra cup.
     There have been times in my life when I have felt like a thrift store item sitting on a dusty shelf.  Haven’t you?  Impractical.  Certainly not stylish.  Worn.  Cast aside.  With out obvious value.  Not useful.
     But God doesn’t love us because of what we can do for Him or even the ways we can be used.
     On a Friday 2,000 years ago, a thief woke at sunrise, left his prison cell, carried timbers up a hill and was hung on a cross beside the cross of Jesus.  This thief looked over at Jesus and saw not a man, but a King.  Not a king, but the King of Kings.  He begged, “Jesus remember me when you come into your kingdom.”
     And Jesus looked over at this dusty, insignificant, no longer useful man, and said, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”
     The thief on the cross really did have nothing left to give.  He did not have time to go to a church service, make an offering, feed the poor, or do good works.  He could offer nothing in return, but himself.  The thief had value to Jesus just because he was.
      Our worth is not because of what we do or even will do for God.   Like the thief on the cross our value rests firmly and securely in God’s reckless, unconditional, unfailing love.  The God of the universe is madly in love with us.
Do not be afraid, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. You are precious in my eyes, because you are honored and I love you… the mountains may depart, hills may be shaken, but my love for you will never leave you and my covenant of peace with you will never be shaken. – Is 43:1,4; 54:10
     God loves us because He does.  Paul wrote to the Ephesians.
 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being,  so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,  may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,  and to know this love that surpasses knowledge —that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.  ~ Ephesians 3:16-19
     Jesus loves us.  Used, impractical, and in need of cleansing.  He, too, is enchanted.

Update:  This post was featured by Angie Ouellette-Tower at God's Growing Garden.   Thank you, Angie!

14 comments:

Gayle said...

Sweet little blessings that fill us with the goodness of God. I'm so glad you got them!
Blessings,
Gayle from Behind the Gate

enthusiastically, dawn said...

Beautiful post and those are the loveliest dishes and cups. What fun! May they bring you much shared joy! And what a beautiful bargain. Grateful that he redeems that which has been cast aside, we who are his...and he who has rescued us from the table of neglect and brought us to His magnificent table of grace. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE those dishes!! Mmm...such pretty scalloped edges too. My mom had glass cups and plates like that, with an indentation for the teacup. I always loved those. Teacups of all sorts, I'm always drawn to them. And I believe God plans special delights for us like your finding these and then having them be on sale, meant for you, a treat from Him. Enjoy them with your tea and cookies and family and friends!! This post blessed me today in many ways :) - Pam, apples of gold

Anonymous said...

The title Enchanted Milkglass got me. I inherited a rather large collection from my grandmother several years ago. Totally beautiful. Totally impractical. It collected dust for years until I sold it to someone who displayed it. We all feel dusty and impractical at times and useless, but you tied it all together beautifully. Glad I stopped by.

Richella Parham said...

Used, impractical, in need of cleansing. I love this post! Thank you for sharing these thoughts.

Your milkglass dishes are pretty special, too! :)

joy said...

WhAt a wonderful sharing of the truth. God loves us as we are. May our lives show that we too love him:)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Such a beautiful post. Hugs, Marty

Unknown said...

Thank you for this "woohoo", which is what i affectionately refer to as a "hug from God". It was written just for me! I am really new to blogging but have plans to build bridges to others with it.....just have not done much yet. AngelaLynne

acasarella said...

What a beautiful post (to go with those beautiful dishes!!)
--Elena
acasarella.blogspot.com

akl @livelafelove.com said...

What a beautiful post and great lesson.

Thanks for linking up to TALU.

www.livelafelove.com

Debbie said...

Beautiful uplifting post. And I love the dishes. :) (TALU)

Anonymous said...

Great thrift store find! I have a very hard time resisting things like that. I usually end up bringing something like that home, realizing I never use them and passing them along to someone who will. Now that I've been food blogging for a while, I think back on all those things and think how great they would have to have now for the pictures. Oh well... ;) [#TALU]

AngieOuellette-Tower said...

Absolutely amazing!! - not just the beautiful dishes but the way you blended that purchase into God's wonderful message! Thank you so much for sharing on my blog hop.
Angie
godsgrowinggarden.com

AngieOuellette-Tower said...

Hi Donna! - I just wanted to let you know that this wonderful post is being featured on my blog tonight: http://www.godsgrowinggarden.com/2013/02/january-blog-shop-hop-results.html?showComment=1360899196560#c7215065991960910366
Thanks
Angie
godsgrowinggarden.com

Pin It button on image hover