Saturday, June 9, 2012

Erie Canal

     When I was a child one of my favorite songs in music class was The Erie Canal Song, Low Bridge, Everybody Down.  (If you would like to hear it click on the music notes on the link.)   My imagination was caught by having a mule named Sal.  So when we went to celebrate my son Brian's graduation we visited the nearby Erie Canal.
     The Erie Canal is a 363 mile waterway that links Albany, NY on the Hudson to Buffalo, NY at Lake Erie.  This created a navigable water route from the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes.  It was constructed in the early 1800's.  It amazes me that men were able to dig such a waterway without the use of modern equipment.
          The light sparkling on the water was so beautiful.  It was a delightful ending to a wonderful day.
      For more fun pictures of "Water" visit Project 52 at Kent Weakley's blog.

5 comments:

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Oh how cool. I remember that song so well. Love the pics and the memory from my childhood. Thanks.

Media Goddess said...

I love the boat picture. It reminds me of the tugs in Savannah.

betty-NZ said...

I remember singing that song, too, as a school girl, and wondered where it was and what it looked like.

Foursons said...

Wow, you got some gorgeous shots! I was born in Buffalo (moved to TX when I was 3) but I remember some summers spent at Erie Canal.

Gina Kleinworth said...

What a great experience!!!!! Beautiful place.

Pin It button on image hover