Sunday, January 8, 2012

Prayer Box

 "Talking to men for God is a great thing, but talking to God for men is greater still." E.M. Bounds
      I don’t know about you, but I find it easy to pray for me.  I let God know of my needs all day long.  I whisper, “God bless my children and my husband.  God help me find a parking spot.  God bless this meal as I prepare it.”  As the day goes on I can give God a pretty extensive “To Do” list.     And while God is interested in the little things that go on in our lives, those kind of prayers are not really helping to develop my relationship with Him.
     Prayer is practicing being in the very presence of God.  It is coming to Him with our praise, our needs, our deepest longings.  It’s abandoning our pride and sharing from our heart.  We come to Our Father as humble supplicants admitting our need and our dependence.  Prayer is casting ourselves into the gracious arms of our loving Savior.
     Our church hosts a prayer chain for urgent needs within the church family and for those we love.  When I received an emailed prayer request I would stop and lift the need in prayer.  Then as it came to mind in the next day or so I would place it before God.  But my mind is not always like a steel trap, if you know what I mean.  I wanted a way to remind myself to pray specifically for the needs brought to my attention.  I decided to make a frame-turned-dry-erase-board.  My inspiration piece can be found here.  
     I was pretty sure I had an extra frame in my closet.  When I looked I found a  Memory Box frame.  It had been there so long that I had forgotten what I bought it for.  Remember when I said steel trap?  And don't think that it escaped me that it was a Memory Box frame.  The Memory Frame worked even better for me.  I pinned in a piece of card stock on which I wrote “Pray.”  I added a cross I had picked up at the dollar store and hung my new Prayer Box up in my laundry area.  I spend a lot of time in the laundry area.  Here is my finished piece. 



Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:6-7
-Donna

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover