Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Stop For One Tuesday: A Cross In My Name



     Have you ever been stopped in your path by God?  That happened to me several years ago when my daughter Patty was just four.  God taught me many lessons during that time.
      My delightful daughter was at that time very busy.  She loved to sing little songs to herself and chattered like a bird.  One afternoon I learned never to leave her alone with her baby brother, Anthony, and in the vicinity of big brothers permanent Sharpie Marker.  When I returned to the room moments later she had drawn whiskers across Anthony’s chubby cheeks and an eyebrow on his forehead.  “Patricia Margaret, what happened?”  My children know they are in TROUBLE when I use their full name.  With an angelic look on her face, Patty assured me, “He did it.”  Did I mention it was a permanent marker?
     That same day, Patty cooked in her play kitchen with baby powder.  There was powder in her pots, pans, and even in the pretend refrigerator.   We vacuumed and restored her kitchen together. 
     Patty and I were in the car when God blocked my path.  Patty was talking away in her car seat.  I was truthfully only half paying attention to her.  I was thinking of the things I had to do when we arrived at home.  A huge truck was sitting sideways across the back road that I was on making a delivery to a home.  G.O.D. was written in huge letters on the side of the truck.  G.O.D. was the initials for Guaranteed Overnight Delivery.  GOD had literally stopped me in my tracks.  I thought with a laugh, “Well God.  You have my attention.”  That was when Patty piped up from the back seat, “Hey, Mom.  Do you know that I have a cross in my name?”  She had noticed the “t” in Patricia written on one of her nursery papers.
     Patty repeated herself, “I have a cross in my name, Mom.  Do you have a cross in yours?”
     Doesn’t God have a great sense of humor?  One of the most important questions we must ask ourselves from the mouth of a four year old.

But now, this is what the Lord says,
He who created you, He who formed you.  
Fear not, for I have redeemed you; 
I have summoned you by name; 
You are mine.  
When you pass through the waters, 
I will be with you; 
And when you pass through the rivers, 
They will not sweep over you.  
When you walk through the fire, 
You will not be burned; 
The flames will not set you ablaze, 
For I am the Lord, your God, 
The Holy one of Israel, 
Your Savior.  Isaiah 43
     Is there a cross in your name?

Linking with:  Stop For One Tuesday
-Donna

2 comments:

Alene said...

I love this! What a perfect STOP and definitely a God moment. I love those moments when God is so real, so tangible. And seeing Him through our children is the best. "I have a cross in my name." Only one of my children has a cross. Ah man, I should have thought of that earlier. Thanks friend. Love the link up!

a joyful noise said...

My youngest daughter was our chatty one. She would sing and chatter all day non-stop. She was our happy girl. Our son and other daughter were more serious, or perhaps it was me because they were older. Sometime I was CROSS - not a cross in my name, but God helped me and them. Your daughter was very observant to notice the crossed "T". Thank you for sharing at Tell me a Story.

Pin It button on image hover