Thursday, May 24, 2012

31 Things: Jewelry


     When I was young, I used to peer into my Nana’s jewelry box.  It was overflowing with long strings of multicolored beads, ornate broaches, dangly bracelets, bakelite bangles, and chandelier earrings.  It didn’t matter if Nana was wearing a housecoat, bathing suit, or a dress Nana always had some bling.  How I loved to play dress-up with her jewelry.  I draped her necklaces and layered her bracelets over my skinny frame.  My ear lobes were pinched by the screw-back and clasp earrings.  Nana took me to Times Square to get my ears pierced on my twelveth birthday..  I was thrilled to wear those little golden studs.  I faithfully twirled them and doused my ear lobes in rubbing alcohol until they healed.
     My Grandmother, on the other hand, wore very little jewelry.  Her wedding rings, a watch, a pin on her coat, and for special occasions, a pearl necklace.  Her stash of jewelry was small.  The pins on her coat changed with the seasons.  A sparkly candle for Christmas, a flower basket in spring, and a jeweled leaf for fall.  Her watch a simple Timex with large numbers and a second hand which she used as a nurse for taking pulses and reading blood pressure.  
     Her daughter, my mother, enjoys jewelry.  Mom has beautiful rings, bracelets, and necklaces; souvenirs of far away places.  Others were  selective purchases from QVC and Home Shoppers Network.  She generously thinks of me with jewelry for my birthday and Christmas.
     Grandma gave me her mother’s engagement ring.  Great grandmother’s diamond is a round, slightly yellow, old mine cut diamond.  The facets sparkle brilliantly.   Pat had it reset for me in a golden filagree ring.  
     Like Grandma, I keep my jewelry simple.  I usually wear a necklace.  My current favorite is stamped with the words “Kindle” and “Dwell.”  My words for 2011 and 2012. 
I also wear bracelets.  I switch them from wrist to wrist when I am trying to remember something.  I wear a simple wedding band.
     I started a Pandora bracelet on the anniversary of my breast cancer diagnosis.  The first charm was a faceted pink quartz to celebrate one year of survival.  Pat added a pearl bead on our thirtieth anniversary.  Other beads were added for trips and celebrations.  I am happy to have added two more beads for the gift of two more years of life.
     I give Patty amethyst jewelry.  The beautiful purple stone is February's birthstone.  When we adopted her I gave her a tiny gold bracelet with an amethyst charm.  Since then I have presented her with amethyst rings, bracelets, earrings and necklaces.

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.  1 Peter 3:3-4

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover