Saturday, May 11, 2013

Listen My Son

My Mother
Listen my son, to your father's instruction and do not forget your mother's teaching.  Proverbs 1:8-9
     Before I had children, I was sure how I would raise them.  I would lead them with a firm, but steady hand.  Discipline would take the form of dispensing asked for advice which my children would always treasure and follow.  I would create a functional and organized home, rich in love and tranquility.  Then  our first son was born and the crayon was on the wall.
My Mother-In-Law
     If you ask my children who provides them with the most lectures and unsolicited advice - my husband or I -  big surprise, they will unanimously agree that it is me.  But I like to think that I am giving them instruction for life.  Here are some of the things that I have actually said over the years with an accompanying scripture which may have worked just as well.

     Just wait until your Father gets home!  And now dear children, continue in Him, so that when He appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming.  1 John 2:28

     Don't sit so close to the TV or you will hurt your eyes!  Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things.  Phil. 4:8

     Put a sweater on!  I'm cold!  Put on the full armor of  God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.  Ephesians 6:10

     You want me to get a tattoo???  If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault...  James 1:5

     What do you mean you lost your sock?  What happened to your pants?  Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to whom we must give an account.  Hebrews 4:13

     You need to study for the test tomorrow!   Do you not realize that Jesus Christ is in you - unless, of course, you fail the test!  2 Cor. 13:5

     Get out of that bed!  You're going to miss the bus!  How long will you lie there you sluggard?  When will you get up from your sleep?  Proverbs 6:9

     That is a skinned knee.  We only scream like that if bones are poking through the skin, or for profuse bleeding.  See you are well again.  Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.  John 5:14

     Don't drink Mommy's coffee.  The last thing you need is caffeine.  Do not worry about what you will eat or drink...Is life not more than food?  Matthew 6:25

     You got that right!  You will apologize for your behavior!  You have answered correctly.  Do this and you will live.  Luke 10:28

     In case you were wondering, these are all actual scriptures...some, perhaps, taken a bit out of context.
     A Prayer of Jesus: I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of this world.  They were yours; You gave them to me and they have obeyed your word.  Now they know that everything you have given me came through you.  For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them.  I pray for them.  I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours.  All I have is yours...Holy Father protect them by the power of your name.  While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me.  My prayer is not that you take them out of this world, but that you protect them from the evil one.  Sanctify them by the truth, your word is truth.  As you sent me into the world, so I send them into this world.  ~ John 17:6-18
     Happy Mother's Day!!!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute use of scripture to coach your kids. Thanks for linking up at Family Fun Friday.
Sincerely,
Monica
http://happyandblessedhome.com

a joyful noise said...

Oh Donna, you hit the nail on the head with this post. I have been guilty of giving unwanted advice. When they are young, it is fine, but as they mature and leave home, I have stuck my foot in my mouth more often than not. I enjoyed this post and thanks for sharing at "Tell Me a Story."

Inking the Heart said...

Linking with you at Tell Me a Story...I love this. The missing the bus and don't drink my coffee really hit home with me! Thanks for sharing and blessings to you! Love, Rachael @ Inking the Heart

mail4rosey said...

LOL! The crayon really does hit the wall (literally and figuratively). My oldest's wife just had a baby (JUST!) and I know they're going to be marvelous parents. I also know he's not going to live by his words of, "When I have kids..." :)

Visiting today from Thursday's Favorite Things.

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Thank you for being a part of #TellHisStory! We so appreciate you. Shine on, sister! ~ Jennifer Dukes Lee

sharon brobst said...

Having raised only 2 sons I so identify...crayon, lipstick, markers all made it to the wall and more! lol This brought a smile to my face...and heart.

Lanaya | Raising Reagan said...

This is a great use of scripture to teach the young ones! Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

¤´¨)
¸.•*´
(¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
www.raising-reagan.com

Judith said...

This was so good!! Thanks for sharing it over at WholeHearted
home.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh my love this! The scriptures certainly did work. I think we are all guilty of saying a lot of the same things. Just comes naturally to us moms, right? lol! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup. Now a new follower.
hugs,
Jann

Pin It button on image hover