Sunday, January 27, 2013

Immanuel

Patty played Mary at the Christmas Pageant at Church in December.

     Did you know that God has over 200 names in the Bible?  Each of them reveal a facet of His character and lovingkindness.
     Here are just a few:
Elohim: Strong CreatorEl Shaddai: God Almighty
Jehovah-Jireh: The Lord Will Provide
Jehovah- Nissi: The Lord my banner 
Jehovah-Shammah - The Lord is there 
Jehovah –tsidkenu: The Lord our righteousness
Jehovah-Ore: The Lord is Light. 
     Beautiful, aren’t they?  The Name that I have been holding close this week comes from Isaiah 7:14.
The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel: God With Us.
    Immanuel means that God came to dwell with us.  The Great I Am has walked where we walk.  Immanuel means that God is with us in every situation: when we are in pain, suffering from loss, poverty or illness.  When we are bankrupt or bullied at school.  When we get divorced or have a sickness unto death. When we have done the wrong thing.  Immanuel means that no matter what happens God surrounds us with His love, His presence, and His Holy Spirit.   Immanuel means that we are not forsaken or alone.  God takes pity on our weaknesses.
     Immanuel, God with us, showing us hope, grace, and faithfulness in the midst of our failure and sin.
     For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.  ~Romans 8:38-39 
 Immanuel revealed. 
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me.   ~Psalm 23:4  
There’s Immanuel.
And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. ~ Matthew 28:20 
Immanuel.
     Jesus said to the crowds following Him in John 6:29, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”
     Do you see your Immanuel?
     Do you see that even in our weariness, hurt, despair, illness, or sin that God is in the midst?  Immanuel - God With Us the King of Glory.

5 comments:

Pamela said...

What a sweet picture. Have you seen the Names of God Bible? My husband gave me one. Where God or Jesus is written they substitute the name used. It just blesses me when I read it to realize the deeper meanings of our God's name.

Esther Joy said...

The name "Immanuel" is such a picture of the God who loves us so that nothing can separate us from His love. (This week I've been working on memorizing Romans 8:38-39 out of the Living Translation for Beth Moore's 2013 memory work challenge.)

elizabeth said...

Hi Donna! So happy to "meet" you here in the blogosphere. Thank you so much for your kind comment on my photo and scripture.

Unknown said...

Thank you for telling me about the Names of God Bible. I hadn't heard of it before. I'll be sure to look it up. Blessings on you. Stay warm with this cold weather.

Virginia said...

Blessed be His name , what comfort it brings!

Pin It button on image hover