Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Dear Breast Cancer

       If you are just stopping in, this is the thirty first post in my 31 Day Series:  I Wear Pink.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer on February 18, 2009.   This series is about my journey with breast cancer.  You can find the previous posts here.

Day 31:  Dear Breast Cancer

Dear Breast Cancer,
     You were an unwelcome guest.  I didn’t even know that you were there, growing, changing, threatening.   My first hint of your existence an ominous walnut shaped spot where no spot should be. 
     I recall when I learned your ugly secret, the way my heart skipped a beat, and my stomach clenched.  The way my eyes filled and puddled over in fear and shock.  I never thought you would come to me.
    You crept silently into my left breast.  Don’t you know that my infants nursed at that very breast?  I held my babies in my left arm,  their little heads pillowed against my breast, echoing its soft curves.  They could hear my heart beat, thump-thump, thump-thump.  You would have extinguished that forever.
     You stole something from me.  You are always on my mind.  I wish that I could forget you. 
     You changed my life.  You showed me that I am more delicate than I know.  You labeled me as sick, different, damaged.
    You touched my children.  They were frightened that they would have to grow up and grow old without a mother.  You took part of their childhood away.  They should not have had to deal with adult worries.  You would have silenced my voice in their future.
     You touched my marriage.  I am no longer the smooth skinned bride that my husband touched with joy.  You marked me.  My scars reflect my determination to be rid of you.  
    Breast Cancer, I can not believe that it has been three years since we were introduced.  Some days it seems as if it were just yesterday.  And then there are times when I feel that I have known you forever.
     Breast Cancer, I would not have chosen you, but, I have learned these things from our dance together.
    You do not define me.  I am who I always have been, but more so. 
     I am not alone.  My friends stood beside me with home baked meals and encouragement.  More friends then I knew I had.  They were the tangible hands and feet of Jesus to me.
     You have given me sisters who have fought the same battle.  I want to serve as an encouragement for them.
     Our family was strengthened by your visit.  They covered me with love and prayers.  Crayoned cards and gentle kisses.  Quiet times and boisterous parties with enough squabbles and mess to let me know that I am needed and wanted.  Our family works harder to be there for each other then before you reared your ugliness.
     I have learned to love unconditionally, to forgive completely,  to live in hope, and to enjoy every moment I've been given.
     My marriage is sweeter.  My husband touches me with new found joy and appreciation.  We whisper our love quietly heads together and argue loudly about nothing of consequence.  We defer to each other and support each other.  My husband is my treasure.
      Breast Cancer, I did not fight you like a girl, I fought you as a Warrior.  The battle for me was already won on Calvary’s cross.  I know that God loves me.  I have seen His goodness in the land of the living. 
     Breast Cancer, you forcefully pointed out that narrow gate through which we all must pass.  But I have learned this, the One who has led me all my life will not desert me. When the time comes for me to pass through the narrow gate,  it will be just wide enough for me and my Savior together.  
Sincerely,
 

     Part of this post was published anonymously at Positively Alene as part of her 31 Days of Anonymity Series.  You can find that post here.

6 comments:

Linda Stoll said...

Hi Donna ~

Way back on Day 14, you left a comment on the Creekside Ministries blog that put you in the running for a $25 Applebee's gift card ... and you are the WINNER!

Please head on over there and shoot me a quick email with your address so I can send it your way!

http://creeksideministries.blogspot.com/2012/10/31-days-of-awesome-relationships-day-31.html

I hope this will be a little blessing in your life!

Linda

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Wow, Donna, this has been a really awesome series of posts! Thank you so much for sharing your journey. Blessings to you, sweet blogging friend!

Linda Stoll said...

Hi Again, Donna `

Thanks for dropping by ... so happy you're excited ... please email me your address so I can get that gift card off to you!

Linda@CreeksideMinistries.com

holly said...

hi donna,

i just finished reading all of your 31 posts on breast cancer. you have been given a the gift of illustration through writing your journey...i saw a glimps, most assureadly, of your faith, your struggle, strength, hope and victory.

i am not a stranger to this couragageous fight. my sister at the age of 41 became a breast cancer warrior. she lost her battle at age 45. her cancer was at stage four when diagnosed and she had two different breast cancers in one breast...one was her2nu and the other was a slower growing cancer. she also had 14 lymphnodes removed which were all full of cancer.

i have had mammograms and ultrasounds for ten years now. it seems strange that i have now been on this earth longer than my older sister was. i miss her everyday and struggle each october when i see the sea of pink everywhere. for me, it aids in the struggle to go from bitter to better. it's a reminder that women are still fighting this disease and i just want people to quit making things with the money they get and just use all of it to find a cure...that was until i read your thoughts on it.

my sister felt just like you. she felt a sisterhood being wrapped up in pink. i just wanted to punch the pink ribbon! she asked me to put every card, pin and gift that was ever given to her through all of her struggles on display when she died. she wanted everyone to know how appreciative she was for them to think of her.

i hate breast cancer to say the least. i worry about it showing up in me one day. but i am thankful for all of your posts and insight and biblical quotes. i didn't want to read them because i knew that i would feel that overwhelming sorrow creep up and form a lump in my throat and heaviness in my heart.. but i'm glad that i did.

who knows, this maybe the first step going from to bitter to better...thank you :)

holly

(visiting from imparting grace)

Katherines Corner said...

God bless you my sweet friend. Thank you for joining in the fun at the Thursday Favorite Things hop. Happy Tuesday wishes xo P.S. sorry I'm so late visiting :-)

Sylvia R said...

What a wonderfully moving testimony of faith and victory. I had to go look at your other posts in the series. Yes, God does enrich us through trial in ways we'd never be rich otherwise. Thank you for sharing all this.

Pin It button on image hover