We picked up the eggplant and the onions at our local CSA. It is low carb.
- 1 pound of ground turkey or ground beef,
- 1 medium onion,
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large eggplant sliced into thin rounds, I soak these in lightly salted water.
- 1 26 oz jar of spaghetti sauce,
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese,
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 9 x 13 pan.
- Brown meat in a skillet and drain. Set aside.
- Saute onions in butter in the skillet.
- Line the bottom of the prepared pan with half of the eggplant rounds.
- Stir the sauce and the meat together and pour half over the eggplant.
- Top with the sauteed onions and half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Add the remainder of the eggplant and then the rest of the meat sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove the foil sprinkle the parmesan cheese and the rest of the mozzarella cheese on top and bake uncovered for an additional 5 minutes.
I have served this on italian bread or with pasta as a side. Of course, if you add bread or pasta, then it isn't a low carb meal. Enjoy.