Monday, March 12, 2012

Hope in the Rain


     One morning a few weeks ago the skies were dark gray and a steady downpour of cold rain fell.  The temperature was just a few degrees above freezing.  It was the kind of day that made you want to stay in bed under the warm covers.  I floundered through the rain and went to work.  Dark puddles abounded and water streamed across the roads.  I thought of a friend of mine, who would be attending the funeral of a loved one.  It was a day for despair.  Somehow this didn’t seem to be a day that God had created.
     But that afternoon was a whole new day.  The warm sun shone.  The skies were crystal blue.  Puffy white clouds floated gently across the sky.  The temperature was like Spring.  It was clearly a glorious day from God.
     One of my favorite passages in the Bible is Psalm 27.  It was written by David.  Here is verse 13 in the New American Standard and then in the New International Version, because I think together they reveal the depth of God’s love for us.
     Psalm 27:13      
(NAS)  I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
(NIV)  I am still confident of this - I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
     In this world, threatening clouds of despair seem to hang over us all the more often than we would like.  Sometimes life seems to be a steady heavy burst of soul chilling rain.  
     We worry about our son or daughter.  An unexpected illness comes on us.  Our job is suddenly not as secure as we had believed.  Our husband or wife has become distant or cold.  We find ourselves asking, “Where is the hope?”
     Here is the answer.  Psalm 27  I would have despaired unless I have believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
     Not His goodness in the next life, or after we get to heaven, but here in the land of the living.  It doesn’t matter how bad things look, the clouds will part, the rain will stop and we will feel the sun falling softly.  God knows our heart.  We are engraved in His hand.  The very hairs on our head are numbered.  He collects our tears in a bottle.  He knows when a sparrow falls.  He cares for you, collectively, individually, desperately.

Psalm 27
The Lord is my light and my salvation
  whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life
of whom shall I be afraid?
Though an army besiege me,
my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
even then will I be confident.
One thing I ask of the lOrd,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord 
all the days of my life, 
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord 
and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
He will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.
the Lord will receive me.
Teach me your way, O Lord’
lead me in a straight path
I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the Lord.
Our God gives us hope, even in the rain.
-Donna
Linking up with Picket Fence.
-Donna

3 comments:

Samantha said...

Hi Donna,

How nice to "meet" you! Newest follower!

Hope you have a blessed day!

AngieOuellette-Tower said...

A beautiful message! - Thanks for sharing this on my blog hop!
Angie
godsgrowinggarden.blogspot.com

Carina Schoen said...

thanks for linking up. this is so encouraging :)

Pin It button on image hover