Patty’s Snickerdoodle Cookies
1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Stir in the eggs and the vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon. Stir into the creamed mixture until it is well blended.
- In a small bowl, stir together the 2 tablespoons of sugar and remaining cinnamon to make the cinnamon sugar.
- Roll the dough into balls about the size of a walnut. Roll the balls in the cinnamon sugar. Place them about two inches apart on an un-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes. Edges should be slightly brown when cooked.
- Remove from cookie sheet to cool on wire rack.