Monday, April 8, 2013

Bald Eagles

A bald eagle
     Our family went to a wedding in Pennsylvania this weekend.  When we checked into the hotel, the hostess mentioned that there were a pair of bald eagles nesting by the lake on the property.  So at seven o'clock in the morning, Connor and I hurried down to the lake with my camera.  Connor reminded me that I should have brought a pair of binoculars for eagle watching.  He also told me that I needed coffee to fuel my brain first thing in the morning, but let's talk about the eagles.
Yup!  It really is a bald eagle!
     The eagle was roosting pretty far away on a dead tree at the edge of the lake.  This was as close as I could get and even with my long lens, it's not a great shot.  Still, we were able to see a bald eagle in the wild.  Connor and I were pretty excited.
Soaring.
     A bald eagle has a wingspan of about 6 to 7 1/2 feet.  This eagle was impressively large.  Connor was thrilled when we heard it call, "kleek kik ik ik ik."
The bowl shaped shadow in the tree is their nest!
     Bald Eagles were moved off of the endangered list in 1995.  They are now on the threatened list.  Have you ever seen a bald eagle outside of a zoo?

7 comments:

caryjo said...

I've been told we have many eagles in our area, not far away near the Missouri River. One of these days I want to head that way and see what I can see. What a blessing that would be. What a world we now live in!! [And they do.]

Karren Haller said...

My husband love eagles the meaner the better, he even has several portraits and brass sculptures. But seeing them in the wild is the best! Stopping by from Create With Joy, hope to have you visit Oh! My Heartsie WW w/Linky
Have a great week!

Veronica Lee said...

They are such majestic creatures! Fabulous shots!

Faythe said...

what a experience to see them in the wild. nice shots too. my little point & shoot would of just turned out trees!

Linda E. Pruitt said...

Yes, I have seen quite a few--in two different states! Awesome!

a joyful noise said...

When we lived in Pleasanton, CA there was a pair of golden eagles not far from us. At that time, we were the only ones living on the mountain that close up. They were so beautiful as we watched them soar. Thanks for sharing your eagle story at "Tell Me a Story."

Mamal Diane said...

Wow! I would love to see one. What a large wing span they have. Nice shots! Thanks for sharing :)

Pin It button on image hover