Saturday, July 21, 2012

Eyes of Love


Connor - Now age 10.  Listening to the ocean with a tiny shell.


From my devotional archives:
February 22, 2004

     One Saturday morning I was working on our basement.  It is important for you to know that when I clean the basement that I do not dress up to do it.  Our basement is rather a dungeon where I do laundry and junk gets stored.  My hair was haphazardly combed, and I was wearing, “cleaning the basement” kind of clothes.
     Taking a quick break, I sat down to a cup of coffee and to leaf through a magazine.  When I sit down, my children see that as an opportunity to climb on me, ask me for things or blow bubbles in the living room.  Connor, our two year old, wanted pretzel logs.  While I got him his pretzels, he began flipping through my magazine.  Out of the magazine fell a little advertisement for Winsor Pilates.

     I, like any good couch potato, had not paid any attention to it.  Connor however, was enjoying it.  I took back the magazine and left him the advertisement.  We sat companionably for a moment, me drinking my coffee, him dipping pretzel logs in my coffee.
     Connor looked up at me.  “Look Mommy.  There you are.”
Source
     I looked.  Believe me I looked.  Connor was happily waving the advertisement around.  “This!  This!”  I cringed.  I was wondering what example of “before” he thought looked most like me.  I was hoping it was not the woman on the left.  But Connor, bless his heart, pointed at the picture of the model, Daisy Fuentes, who was the spokeswoman for Pilates.  Now you see why that child can dip his pretzels in my coffee anytime.
     Poor Daisy would not be overly flattered by the comparison.  Both of us have blonde hair and pretty much there the resemblance ends, especially on clean out the basement day. But in the picture Daisy was smiling.  Connor was attracted to her smile.
     I looked in the mirror and saw all the things wrong with me, my hair, my clothes, and my shape.  But two year old Connor saw the same thing through the eyes of love and thought I looked pretty spectacular.
     Similarly, God looks at us, through His eyes of love.
The Lord does not look at the things man looks at.  Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart,  1 Samuel 16:7
For God so loved the world that he gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.  John 3:16
     God looks at us through the cross of Jesus.  And He thinks we look pretty spectacular.
Father, I want those you gave me
To be with me, right where I am,
So they can see my glory, the splendor you gave me,
Having loved me long before there ever was a world.
Righteous Father, the world has never known you,
But I  have known you, and these disciples know
That you sent me on this mission.
I have made your very being known to them-
Who you are and what you do-
And continue to make it known,
So that your love for me
Might be in them
Exactly as I am in them.”
A prayer of Jesus from John 17 from the Message.
     When do you look like a movie star to the ones you love?

3 comments:

kelly said...

love this message Donna. thank you for the reminder. and I can totally identify with your 'cleaning the basement' look. LOL. my basement is laundry room/dungeon too! :)

Bev said...

What a wonderful post...how true!!

Jody Lee Collins said...

Donna, this just made me smile. When do I look like a movie star? my husband comments often how beautiful I am and I think about my body and go, "you're kidding, right?" But he loves me, as does our Heavenly Father.
wonderful post.

Pin It button on image hover