Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Day 10: Losing My Mind

My son, Anthony, has lost his mind, too!  Don't try this at home, folks.  This can be dangerous.
    I lost my mind a long time ago.  My children will tell you that this is true.  My husband of thirty-three years can certainly verify it.  My parents, who have known me the longest, have said on more than one occasion, "Donna, are you out of your mind?!!!!"
     That I have lost my mind does not come as a surprise to me.  About thirty years ago, shortly after the birth of my first child, I made a cross stitch sampler that read, "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."  Some might say that I was going through a phase, like adolescence or the chicken pox, or even brainlessness induced by sleep deprivation.  But I know better.
     At school, I have a small poster hanging by my desk.  It says, "I've lost my mind.  I think the kids took it."  My first graders don't understand it.  The fifth graders want to know "Which kids?"  Parents, on the other hand, understand the sentiment and smile.
     The truth is, that most of you have lost your mind, too.  It's scriptural.
     Paul lost his mind on the road to Damascus.  He had lots to say about it, too.
     If we are out of our mind, it is for the sake of God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you.  For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.  ~ Corinthians 5:13-14
     Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship.  Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.   ~Romans 12:1-2 
     When I lost my mind, it wasn't just misplaced, and for sure the kids didn't take it.  Jesus did.  When we become believers we exchange far more than our sin for robes of righteousness.
     First Corinthians 2:16 tells us that we have the mind of Christ.  We can renew our minds by reading God's word and meditating on it.
     And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.  Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me--put it into practice.  Ant the God of peace will be with you.  Philippians 4:7-9
       I may have lost my mind, but really, it was no great loss compared with what I have gained.  Have you lost YOUR mind?
     This post is Day 10 of my 31 Day series, Welcome to My Mess.  You can read the other posts here.

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover